Bell Centre, Montreal, Canada
Scope of Work
Design and supervise structural works for the biggest arena in North America.
Dessau provided the structural engineering for this exceptional sports and entertainment complex, which is home to the legendary Montreal Canadiens hockey team. With a surface area of 199,000 sq. ft., the Bell Centre is 36 metres tall and can accommodate
up to 22,500 spectators. The building’s main structure includes 10 levels and is made up of 36 rigid concrete frames arranged around the ice rink.
- Integrate the building with nearby Bonaventure metro station and the Lucien-L’Allier train station.
- Adapt the building design to the site’s particularities, including a natural difference in levels reaching 36 feet.
- Design the roof to support 75 tonnes of equipment.
Prizes and Awards
- « 1996 Award of Excellence » , in the Commercial and Institutional Projects category, awarded by the Canadian Institute of Steel Construction (CISC).
- « 1996 Arcus Prize » awarded by the Quebec Concrete Association (ABQ).